As Venezuela and its elected left-wing government faces a series of violent right-wing protests, attacks from the right across the region and threats from the United states, a range of left-wing and solidarity groups in the Asia-Pacific region released the statement below on April 19.
* * *
In defence of the Bolivarian process against right-wing counterrevolution: No to foreign intervention in Venezuela!
We, the undersigned organisations, express our support and solidarity for the people of Venezuela and government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, against the ongoing threats of counterrevolution and violent attacks orchestrated by right-wing forces with the backing of the US imperialist power.
The right-wing opposition forces in Venezuela have been aggressively campaigning and stirring up the sentiment to remove President Nicolas Maduro. The right-wing forces are exploiting the institutional conflict between the Supreme Court of Justice and the opposition-controlled National Assembly to fuel tension, escalate political violence and destabilise the country.
The aim is to clear the path for imperialist intervention and enable the right to take power again, like what happened in the coup of April 2002, 15 years ago [with a brief military coup against President Hugo Chavez].
The Organization of American States (OAS) has backed the right-wing forces in Venezuela by threatening to invoke the so-called Democratic Charter against Venezuela. Meanwhile, Admiral Kurt W Tidd, the commander of the United States Southern Command, also warned of responding to Venezuela’s “instability”, which signals the pretext for US intervention in Venezuela to aid the right-wing forces.
Such a move by imperialist forces, threatening the sovereignty of Venezuela and principles of self-determination, is alarming.
The consequences of foreign intervention and right-wing takeover of power through violent means will be devastating for the people of Venezuela. All the social gains of the Bolivarian Revolution for the past 18 years would be destroyed.
The right-wing forces which represent the interests of oligarchy will destroy the social missions, return nationalised companies and landed estates to their filthy rich owners, massively cut old age pensions and slash health care and education.
The defeat of the Bolivarian Revolution in Venezuela would also mean a setback for progressive forces and have wider implications for the region of Latin America.
* Reiterate our support for and solidarity with Venezuela’s Bolivarian Revolution.
* Reject any form of foreign intervention that seeks to undermine the independence and sovereignty of Venezuela.
* Call upon the progressive forces around the world to rally around to support the people of Venezuela in defending the Bolivarian Revolution.
1. Socialist Party of Malaysia (PSM)
2. Network of the Oppressed People (JERIT)
3. Pertubuhan Pembangunan Sosio Ekonomi Rakyat Golongan Miskin – FREEDOM
4. Solidariti Anak Muda Malaysia (SAMM)
5. Partido Lakas ng Masa (PLM), Philippines
6. Awami Workers Party (AWP), Pakistan
7. Sedane Labor Resource Center (LIPS), Indonesia
8. Indonesian Confederation of United Workers (KPBI), Indonesia
9. Confederation of Indonesia People Movement (KPRI), Indonesia
10. Popular Student Federation (FMK), Indonesia
11. Asia Monitor Resource Centre (AMRC)
12. Socialist Alliance, Australia
13. Australia-Venezuela Solidarity Network, Australia
14. Latin America Social Forum, Australia
15. FMLN Support Committee, Brisbane, Australia
16. Australia Venezuela Association of ACT Inc.
17. Latin American Solidarity Network (LASNET), Australia
18. Women Workers Forum, Bekasi, Indonesia
19. Nasional Union Confederation (KSN), Indonesia
20. Perempuan Mahardika, Indonesia
21. Popular Politic, Indonesia
22. Committee for Asian Women