Hotel immigration detention

Refugees recently released from the Park Hotel detention centre organised the “First taste of freedom — game not over yet” cricket match. Mayura Ashok reports.

Thousands marched in the annual Palm Sunday’s walk for justice for refugees in Melbourne. Supporters of refugee rights also took to the streets in Canberra and Newcastle. Chloe DS, Elizabeth Trenchos, Paul Oboohov and Steve O'Brien report.

A case against the Department of Home Affairs and International Health and Medical Services over the death of an Iraqi refugee held in the Villawood detention centre has been adjourned. Chris Slee reports.

Several hundred people protested to free the refugees imprisoned in the Park Hotel and Melbourne Immigration Transit Accommodation prisons. Andrea Bortoli reports.

The Hobart City Council has added to the pressure on the federal government to release refugees from indefinite detention in the Park Hotel prison in Melbourne. Chloe DS reports.

Regardless of the entitled Serbian tennis player's behaviour, Sue Bolton argues that the Immigration Minister's decision to kick him out of the country should be cause for concern. 

Abbi spoke from inside the Park Hotel prison to refugee rights activists outside asking what he and other asylum seekers had done to receive such cruelty from the Morrison government. Here is what he said.

Despite efforts by librarians and City of Melbourne councillors to provide library services to refugees detained in the Park Hotel prison it has still not been approved. Marlon Toner-McLachlan reports.

Protesters continue to demand that refugees inside the Park Hotel prison are released into the community. Chloe DS reports.

Protesters gathered outside the Park Hotel in Carlton to demand that the refugees be immediately released. Chloe DS reports.

 

A refugee imprisoned at the Park hotel prison in Carlton told Green Left  that three refugees had tested positive for COVID-19 and that many others have symptoms. Chloe DS reports.

The cases of 18 refugee rights activists who participated in a car convoy last year have been adjourned to October. Chris Slee reports.