Yemen: Saudi air strike kills more than 100

Aftermath of a Saudi air strike on Yemen.

Unicef representative in Yemen Meritxell Relano said on March 17 that the death toll from a Saudi air raid two days earlier had reached 119.

The Morning Star said on March 18 that the Saudi strike on Mastaba in the north-western Hajja province also wounded 47 people. The dead include 22 children.

With Western-supplied arms, Saudi Arabia is bombing Yemen as part of its war to restore the authority of ousted president Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi and defeat the Shi'ite Houthi rebels who have seized control of most of the country.

TeleSUR English said on March 16 that Saudi air strikes hit an outdoor market and a restaurant in Mustaba district, according to Ayman Mathkour from the Haja health department.

More than 6000 people, half of them civilians, have been killed in Yemen's conflict since the Saudi-led intervention began in March last year, according to the United Nations.

In January, a UN panel found that air strikes had targeted civilians and assessed that some of the attacks could be crimes against humanity, recommending the UN Security Council consider establishing an investigation.

Like the article? Subscribe to Green Left now! You can also like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.