School Strike 4 Climate is encouraging unionists to move the following motion at meetings of their trade unions.
We, [name of union]
a. Recognise that climate change:
- Presents an existential threat, being a “global emergency” according to the 2018 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report;
- Has already had negative impacts both internationally and in Australia, as evidenced by the breaking of heat records, prolonged and more aggressive bushfire seasons, bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef and increased droughts;
- Is the product of corporate greed and profiting off the environment, with 70% of the world’s global emissions caused by 100 of the world’s largest companies;
- Will have the biggest impact on working-class people and developing countries;
- Requires immediate and wide-reaching action within the next decade to avoid disaster;
b. Endorse the next School Strike 4 Climate rally planned for 20 September;
c. Express our solidarity with school students fighting for real climate action;
d. Offer practical support for the strike, including, but not limited to: promotion of the strike via social media, encouraging members to attend, providing marshals, megaphones and other logistical support;
e. Commit to the stated demands of the movement, namely:
i. Stopping Adani,
- No new coal or gas,
- Just transition to 100% renewable energy by 2030.