New South Wales Coroner Teresa O’Sullivan on January 30 suspended the inquest into the death of Dunghutti teenager Jai Wright. She has referred it the Department of Public Prosecutions to consider whether a criminal charge should be laid.
Jai died on February 20, 2022 after an unmarked police car collided with the trail bike he was riding in Eveleigh, in Gadi/Sydney. He was 16 years old.
Lachlan Wright and Kylie Aloua, Jai’s parents, said: “This referral has given us a lot of hope, we have faith that we will get justice for Jai.”
They recounted the horror 2 years ago. “We received a call — one of the calls that as a parent you never want to receive — about Jai having an accident. We rushed straight to the hospital and we were by our son’s side as he passed away.
“Ever since then, we have been searching for the truth. We need to know the truth so that we can live our lives and move forward.”
Karly Warner, CEO of the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) said: “We share their immense grief and determination to ensure what happened to Jai never happens again.
“Jai is one of at least 558 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who have died in custody and police operations in a little over 30 years since the Royal Commission. Scrutiny and accountability are essential in stopping this national shame.”