The following statement was released on January 26 by Civil Council of Popular and Indigenous Organizations of Honduras (COPINH), which is part of the National Resistance Front Against the Coup (FNRG), on the protests planned for the following day against the inauguration of "president" Porfirio Lobo Sosa. It is reprinted from Honduras Resists.
To the peoples of Honduras and the world:
1. From the different Lenca communities and from all the corners of our country, we are mobilising to take part in the great march convened by the FNRG against the coup d'etat.
2. We mobilise to reject the regime of Porfirio Lobo Sosa, developer, planner, executor and inheritor of the coup with which the oligarchy has once again violated the constitution.
3. We mobilise to denounce the impunity enjoyed in our country by the oligarchic, political, police and military leadership.
4. We mobilise to demand the punishment of the assassins of our sisters and brothers who lost their lives defending the right to live in democracy.
5. We mobilise to defend our right to free expression.
6. We mobilise to denounce the plans of the oligarchy, which are nothing less than the dispossession of natural resources and the exploitation of the people.
7. We mobilise to denounce the Organisation of American States, the United Nations and the European Union, entities that are complacent with the coup-makers and that once again demonstrated that their reason for existence is to serve the powerful.
8. We mobilise to call, from the resistance, for a broad front as a space for electoral participation of the Honduran people that allows us to develop a new type of political instrument, so we are not used by the parties of the oligarchy that carried out the coup.
9. We mobilise to move forward the struggle for a democratic and grassroots National Constitutional Assembly, to have a new political constitution that allows for the re-founding of our country.
We raise our voices full of life, dignity, justice, freedom and peace.