Penny Wong condemns Itamar Ben-Gvir’s abuse of flotilla activists, not Israel’s genocide

Israeli national security minister itamar ben-gvir has been widely condemned
Israeli national security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir has been widely condemned for a video he released showing him abusing imprisoned flotilla activists. Image: Isaac Nellist

Foreign minister Penny Wong joined the international condemnation of Israel’s national security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir after video showed him and Israeli Defense Forces soldiers abusing the illegally detained Global Sumud Flotilla activists on May 21.

Ben-Gvir had the video made and released. It shows people being forced to kneel with their hands tied while he waves an Israeli flag and humiliates them. “They came as big heroes, look at them now, not heroes, not anything,” Ben-Gvir said.

Wong described his behavior as “shocking and unacceptable”, adding that Australia had sanctioned the far-right politician, who is part of Benjamin Netanyahu’s ruling coalition.

Ben-Gvir’s video has drawn widespread condemnation, including from Netanyahu government supporters, such as the Executive Council of Australian Jewry. Mike Huckabee, United States ambassador to Israel who, like Wong, continues to deny that Israel is committing genocide in Gaza, described Ben-Gvir’s actions as “despicable”.

The Jewish Council of Australia said the footage was “stomach-churning” and said it stands with the “courageous activists”, including Jewish Australian Annie Mokotow, “who risked their safety to challenge the illegal maritime blockade and highlight the horrific deprivation in Gaza”.

Wong summonsed Israel’s Australian ambassador to a meeting where she demanded the 11 detained Australians to be released. But nothing was said about the illegally detained Palestinians prisoners and, as we know, she has refused over 2.5 years to call on Israel to stop its genocide or cut military ties.

More than 77,000 Palestinian children, women and men have been killed.

Framing Ben-Gvir’s actions as extraordinary, when they are not, is part of the government’s efforts to excuse the Israeli state from its ethnic cleansing.

More than 400 flotilla participants were imprisoned by the IDF on May 19, after it illegally intercepted the flotilla in international waters and sank many of its aid ships. Global condemnation of Ben-Gvir’s shocking video probably helped get the participants released sooner than they would have otherwise.

They were deported from Israel on May 21. Zack Schofield told the Andaolu Agency that many were beaten and tortured.

“I have friends who were shocked with tasers and stun guns for extended periods of time … I saw the IOF take an Arab man to another room and torture him just so that they could provoke a response from us. We were treated really poorly; many of us haven’t eaten for days; we were denied water for two days.”

Neve O’Connor, a student and community organiser, said a woman was shot for walking across the prison yard. “We were left exposed to the elements, during the day it was boiling hot with no protection from the sun and at night they flooded the floors and left us to freeze.

“My shoulders were almost dislocated. I was kneed in the face and kneed in the stomach. I had my head slammed into a table multiple times. I was kicked in the ankle so I would trip. They pulled my ears with pliers; they made degrading comments as they strip-searched me. It was just constant abuse and oppression.”

Juliet Lamont, another participant, said the physical and sexual violence was worse than last year’s flotilla. “I was on one of the prison boats where 180 people were systematically bashed and beaten. We had 40 people who have broken ribs, 12 sexual assaults, people who were tasered in the face, people who were syringed with unknown sedatives.

“We were tortured. I was put down, cable tied, they put so much water under me that I thought I was going to drown. I was sexually assaulted in a torture chamber and five men were bashing me and smashing my face. It was a relentless campaign of violence.”

They all said Palestinians experience worse treatment every day, and are adamant that Australia must stop sending Israel weapons parts and demand the Gaza blockade is lifted.

Emergency protests are being organised.

Rally details

Boorloo (Perth)
May 22, 5pm, DFAT, Perth CBD
Sherwood Ct off St Georges Terrace

Naarm (Melbourne)
May 22, 5.30pm, Flinders St Station

You need Green Left, and we need you!

Green Left is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.