Young green campers plot to save planet
By Patricia Corcoran
SYDNEY — While military recruiting centres report an increase in unemployed young people seeking a career in the services and Dick Smith and Tandy are trying to interest young people in computer war games, another group of young people here is planning to save the planet — not obliterate it.
The activists of the Environmental Youth Alliance have organised a camp for the weekend of February 22-24. To be held at the outer western suburb of Minto, it will provide environmentally aware young people with a unique opportunity to discuss the issues that are weighing on everybody's mind.
The camp will feature:
- A talk by Michael Etue from Training and Environmental Awareness for the Karen people.
- Dr Karl Kruszelnicky from 2JJJ's Great Moments in Science.
- A discussion on the Gulf War and the environment.
- Workshops on the political side of the Green movement.
- Discussion on building green groups at high schools and colleges.
The camp will also allow the participants to (surprise!) commune with nature, with plenty of time for bushwalking and canoe trips.
If you're interested ring EYA on 247 9342 or write to: EYA, PO Box R1240, Sydney, 2001.