Man charged with Bowraville murders

A protest at NSW Parliament House last year to get justice for the Bowraville 3.

A man who was previously tried and acquitted of the murders of two Aboriginal children at Bowraville, on the NSW mid-north coast in the early 1990s, has again been charged with their murders.

The man, whose name has not been released, appeared at Newcastle local court on February 9 and was granted bail until his next court appearance in August.

He was charged with murdering four-year-old Evelyn Greenup at some time between October 4, 1990 and April 27, 1991 and Clinton Speedy Duroux between February 1–18, 1991. Their bodies were found in bushland on the outskirts of Bowraville.

They were among three Aboriginal children from Bowraville who were murdered in a five-month period from 1990 to 1991.

The man who was charged has already been acquitted of these murders at two separate trials in the past 20 years.

He stood trial for Clinton's murder in 1994 and Evelyn's murder in 2006, but was cleared both times. Police allege they, along with 16-year-old Colleen Walker, were murdered by the same person within a five-month period.

The three children disappeared from houses on the same street following parties at a section of Bowraville known as "the mission". No-one has been charged over the suspected murder of Colleen, although a coroner has ruled she is dead.

Initial police inaction and their failure to quickly identify the missing children as potential murder victims meant vital evidence was lost. The investigations were racist, lazy, late and unprofessional. Police pursued suspicions that some relatives might have “sold” four-year-old Evelyn, when, in reality, they were dealing with a sexual predator and serial killer.

The police never appreciated that the main suspect was always around when a child disappeared. They finally talked to him when Clinton's body was found, but forensics did not go to the suspect’s caravan until 10 days later. This was plenty of time to hide any proof of wrongdoing.

The case will only proceed if an application by the attorney-general to the NSW court of criminal appeal to have the previous not guilty verdicts overturned is successful.

Outside court, Clinton's father Thomas Duroux said the development was the best thing that had happened for a while.

"It's something we've wanted for a long time, it's really good to be here," he said.

"I'm really glad it's come to this [it's] been a long battle but hopefully we'll get there.

"[We've] just got to keep fighting and keep going till we get there.”

For more information on the case click here

Like the article? Subscribe to Green Left now! You can also like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

If you like our work, become a supporter

Green Left is a vital social-change project and aims to make all content available online, without paywalls. With no corporate sponsors or advertising, we rely on support and donations from readers like you.

For just $5 per month get the Green Left digital edition in your inbox each week. For $10 per month get the above and the print edition delivered to your door. You can also add a donation to your support by choosing the solidarity option of $20 per month.

Freecall now on 1800 634 206 or follow the support link below to make a secure supporter payment or donation online.