434

By Marce Cameron and Sarah Peart "The world economic order works for 20% of the population but it leaves out, demeans and degrades the remaining 80%. We simply cannot accept to enter the next century as the backward, poor and exploited rearguard;
WASHINGTON, DC — The Palestine Right to Return Coalition (PRRC) upholds the inalienable right of Palestinian refugees to return home as an integral component of a just and viable peace. No agreement, negotiations or parties which purport to trade
BY NORM DIXON The United States' biggest corporations delivered more than US$35 million in 31 days to pay for George W. Bush's January 19-20 inauguration parties, the New York Times reported on January 18. Most of the money came in separate
A community service announcement With the year already well under way, I think we should note its significance. There's been the Year of the Pig before this and maybe the International Year for the Prevention of Bad Breath — but 2001 is chalked
Mouth to MouthRory McLeodThrough Shock RecordsOrder at <http://www.rorymcleod.com> REVIEW BY JOHN GAUCI "I want my songs to keep memory alive. I suppose I'm trying to tell history from working peoples point of view. Politics to me is
Eat Flowers & Kiss BabiesCountry Joe McDonald and the Bevis FrondWoronzow Records<http://www.woronzow.com.uk> REVIEW BY BARRY HEALY If you are going to trip down memory lane, you should at least go with someone who knows the meaning of
BY TONY ILTIS& JUSTINE KAMPRAD MELBOURNE — Fourteen maintenance workers have set up a picket line outside the luxury Grand Hyatt Hotel after management locked them out on January 19. The lockout followed seven months of negotiations for an
[The following is a slightly abridged version of a letter addressed to "all left parties and individuals" posted on the internet on January 25. It was signed by John Percy, national secretary of the Democratic Socialist Party, and Peter Boyle, the
BY JIM GREEN The federal government announced on January 24 its preferred sites in South Australia for a controversial national dump for about 10,000 cubic metres of low-level radioactive waste — much to the disgust of environmental groups and
BY NORM DIXON Questions have been raised by some on the Australian left and, more recently, by ruling class commentators in the wake of the December release of the Howard government's defence white paper: Did the Australian government's 1999
BY PETER BOYLE The Democratic Socialist Party has written to other left parties and prominent left activists to initiate discussions around fielding common "Socialist Alliance" candidates in the coming federal elections. The DSP is seeking
BY BRONWEN BEECHEY ADELAIDE — More than 80 people attended a speakout and candlelight vigil to mark Invasion Day on January 26. The meeting was held outside Government House, on what has become known to Aboriginal activists as Genocide Corner,