Turkey: Police arrest, torture protesters on the anniversary of 'Occupy Gezi'

June 2, 2022
Occupy Gezi protest in 2013
The Gezi protests started over government plans to demolish the small park, but grew into a nationwide movement following a brutal police crackdown. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Police clashed with protesters around Istanbul’s main Taksim Square on May 31 and arrested 170 people as crowds gathered to mark the anniversary of nationwide anti-government demonstrations that began nine years ago in nearby Gezi Park, Mezopotamya Agency reported.

Detainees were taken to the police headquarters, where lawyers reported hearing “sounds of torture”.

“There were detainees in a locked room chanting, ‘Human dignity will prevail over torture!’. We banged on the door, police chiefs banged on the door, but the officers inside did not open it, and we kept hearing sounds of torture,” lawyer Ezgi Önalan told journalists.

The 2013 demonstrations were the biggest popular challenge to the rule of then-Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. The Gezi protests started over government plans to demolish the small park of the same name, and when they were met with police brutality, quickly snowballed into a general objection to Turkey’s decline into authoritarianism. Over several months, some four million people took to the streets in 80 out of Turkey’s 81 provinces.

Last month, a Turkish court sentenced eight people to imprisonment, including the philanthropist Osman Kavala, finding them guilty of organising and financing the Gezi protests.

Taksim Solidarity, a loosely connected group of activists who represented the protesters in dealings with the government, called for a gathering outside the nearby Chamber of Mechanical Engineers on the anniversary of the start date. The group read a press statement and held a vigil for eight people who lost their lives during the protests. They also carried pictures of the people sentenced to imprisonment.

MPs from the Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) and the Workers’ Party of Turkey (TİP) also attended the commemoration.

When the group started to march towards Gezi Park, police cut them off and used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse the crowd. There were small-scale clashes in the area as people attempted to reach the square.

Police officers bashed a large number of demonstrators, including Ahmet Şık, a TİP MP.

The detainees were released on June 1.

[Abridged from Medya News.]

You need Green Left, and we need you!

Green Left is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.