Tenants locked out of redevelopment decisions

Issue 

Victorian planning minister Matthew Guy has taken control of planning issues at Fitzroy and Richmond housing estates, enraging Yarra Council and tenants.

In the July 26 Melbourne Times Weekly, Alana Schetzer: “The Department of Human Services last week informed the council of the decision, which took effect immediately. Mayor Alison Clarke said the council was shocked, adding the decision removed community consultation on future planning applications. The Federal government is due to fund a $113 million redevelopment of the estates.”

Socialist Party Councillor Stephen Jolly “accused the government of breaching its election promise to involve residents in planning matters”, the Melbourne Times Weekly said.

“It’s outrageous and sets a very dangerous precedent. If they can do this to public-housing tenants, then who will be next?” Jolly told the paper.

[For more info on the campaign for public housing in Victoria, email: publichousingvictoria-subscribe@yahoogroups.com .]