The School Strike 4 Climate organisers are keen to involve unions and other community and faith-based organisations in their struggle for action on climate change.
Their strike is already being backed by a number of unions in Victoria including: United Voice Victoria (Hospo Voice), Victorian Allied Health Professionals Association, United Firefighters Union, Australian Education Union, National Tertiary Education Union and National Union of Workers.
Below is a model motion, drafted by students, which they are asking unionists to act on.
Get in touch with the organisers at firstname.lastname@example.org if your union signs on to support the global action on March 15.
• • •
We, [name of union, other organisation]
- Recognise that climate change:
- Presents an existential threat, being a “global emergency” according to the 2018 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report;
- Has already had negative impacts both internationally and in Australia, as evidenced by the breaking of heat records, prolonged and more aggressive bushfire seasons, bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef and increased droughts;
- Is the product of corporate greed and profiting off the environment, with 70% of the world’s global emissions caused by 100 of the world’s largest companies;
- Will have the biggest impact on working-class people and developing countries; and
- Requires immediate and wide-reaching action within the next decade to avoid disaster.
- Endorse the next School Strike 4 Climate rally planned for 15 March;
- Express our solidarity with school students fighting for real climate action;
- Offer practical support for the strike, including, but not limited to: promotion of the strike via social media, encouraging members to attend, providing marshals, megaphones and other logistical support; and
- Commit to the stated demands of the movement, namely: Stopping Adani, no new coal or gas and a just transition to 100% renewable energy by 2030