Newcastle University staff maintain bans

Issue 

Newcastle University staff maintain bans

By Kamala Emanuel

NEWCASTLE — A National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU) meeting on June 20 supported continuing work bans imposed at Newcastle University since May 29 and decided in favour of further action to fight the promotion quota introduced last year.

Bob Berghout, branch president of the NTEU, told Green Left Weekly that in December 1994, with no discussion with the staff or union, the university imposed a limit on the number of staff who could be promoted, especially to the position of senior lecturer.

At a meeting open to all academic staff, where Vice Chancellor Raoul Mortley had the opportunity to answer questions and explain the move, 219 of the 220 present voted against the quota. A motion was passed urging the University Council not to implement the quotas this year, to recognise that an enterprise agreement was required and to continue to negotiate.

Despite this, the vice chancellor went head with the quotas.

Staff are also claiming a productivity-linked 2% pay rise. The university says any pay rise must be linked to an increase in productivity, which the union is arguing has already taken place.

The work bans include handbooks, open days, schools visit days, quality committees and the official processing and transmission of examination results. The bans are being supported by the Students' Association.